Pages

Wednesday 10 October 2012

Chaupai (Sikhism)

(
Benti Chaupee: Composed by the tenth Sikh Guru, Guru Gobind Singh, it is a part of main evening prayers of the Sikhs called Rehras Sahib. The Benti Chaupee can be read at any time during the day to provide protection and energy. Chaupai is the short name for the Sikh prayer or Gurbani whose full name is Kabiobach Bainti Chaupai. The Chaupai is part of the second most important Sikh Holy Book called the Dasam Granth.

Below are the beginning 4 Couplets of 25 of this prayer: Kabiyo Baach Bayntee Chaupa - ee:

Please guard us with Your Hands. All my heart's desires are fulfilled. My mind is focused on Your Feet. Sustain us as Your Own.(1)
Destroy all my enemies. With Your Hands protect me. In Bliss remains my household, servants, sikh, O Creator! (2)
Give me your personal protection. Restrain all my adversaries, Today. You’ve Fulfilled my Wishes. My Thirst for Your Worship grows(3).
Leaving You, may I never worship another. All my needs, I get from You. You save my Sikhs & Devotees. One-by-One you demolish my foe (4)

Method and Purpose
This bani is recited every morning by many devoted Sikhs in the morning. It also forms part of the evening prayer called the Rehras Sahib and is also recited daily by many devoted Sikhs in the evening.

The Bani offers one protection and security and many Sikhs recite this Bani to gain spiritual safety and defence from external and internal enemies, worries and afflictions. The Gurmukhi text is very powerful and gives one self confidence and an upbeat feeling. This Bani gives one the feeling of reliability and dependability on the Lord. If one has negative feelings and a lack of confidence in the future, one should recite this Bani to get an instant boost.

Translation and Transliteration in English
KABIOVACH BAINTI CHAUPAI PATSHAI 10TH - PRAYER COMPOSED BY SRI GURU GOBIND SINGH JI
  • Chaupai || Chowpai
  • hamri kro hath dai rchcha. pooran hoeh chit ki eichcha. tav charnan mun rehai hmara. apna jan kro pritipara. (1)
  • Please guard us with Your Hands. All my heart's desires are fulfilled. My mind is focused on Your Feet. Sustain us as Your Own.(1)
  • hamrai dust sabhai tum ghao. aapu hath dai moeh bachavo. sukhi basai moro privara. saivak sikh sbhai kartara. (2)
  • Destroy all my enemies*1. With Your Hands protect me. In Bliss remains my household*2, servants, sikh, O Creator! (2)
  • mo rchcha nij kar dai kriye. sabh bairn ko aij sunghriye. pooran hoeh hmari aasa. tor bhjan ki rehai piaasa. (3)
  • Give me your personal protection. Restrain all my adversaries, Today. You’ve Fulfilled my Wishes. My Thirst for Your Worship grows(3).
  • tumeh chadi koei avr na dhiyaoun jo bar chon so tum tai paoon. saivk sikh hmarai tariaeh chuni chuni strhmarai mariaeh. (4)
  • Leaving You, may I never worship another. All my needs, I get from You. You save my Sikhs & Devotees. One-by-One you demolish my foe (4)
  • aap hath dai mujhai obriyai. mrn kal ka tras nivriaye. hoojo sda hamaraipchcha. sri asidhuj joo kriyo rchcha. (5)
  • With your Hand guard me. destroy my fear of death. Always side with me. With your Sword protect me. (5)
  • rakh laiho mohe rakhanharai. sahib sant shaeh piyarai. deen bundhu dustan kai hunta. tum ho puri chtur dus kunta. (6)
  • Save me, Dear Saviour. Beloved, Helper of Saints.O Merciful, Destroyer of tyrants. You are Lord of fourteen worlds (6)
  • kal paeh brhma bup dhra. kal paeh siv joo avtra. kal paeh kr bisnu prkasa. skl kal ka kia tmasa. (7)
  • Time came, Brahma was born, then Shiva was incarnated and then Visnu, Arose. It’s all Tricks of the Temporal Lord. (7)
  • jvan kal jogi siv kio. baid raj brahma joo thio. jvn kal sabh lok svara. nmskar hai taeh hmara. (8)
  • Temporal Lord created Yogi Shiva; Brahma, the Utterer of Vedas. Temporal Lord, fashioned the entire Universe. I salute Him alone. (8)
  • jvan kal sabh jagat bnaio. dev daint jchchan oopjaio. adi aunti aikai avtara. soei guru smjhiayho hmara (9)
  • Creator of Time made the Universe; the angels, demons and yakshas. Start & End only with Him. He alone is My Guru. (9)
  • nmskar tis hi ko hamari. skal prja jin aap svari. sivkn ko siv gun sukh dio. sttrun ko pul mo bdh kio. (10)
  • I bow only to Him. Creator of all entities & subjects. Gives all merits & tranquillity to His devotees. Destroys enemies at once. (10)
  • ghat ghat kai antar ki jant. bhlai burai ki pir pachant. chiti tai kunchr asthoola. sabh par kirpa diristi kar phoola. (11)
  • Intimate Knower of all our feelings. Recognises the anguish of all creatures, good or bad. From ant to elephant, He protects and cares for all.(11)
  • suntun dukh paai tai dukhi sukh paai sadhun kai sukhi aik aik ki pir pchanain ghat ghat kai put put ki janai. (12)
  • When His saints suffer He is pained, and feels happiness when they are happy. Each ones pain he recognises. Everyone’s, every feeling He Knows. (12)
  • jub oodkrkh kra kartara. prja dhrt tab dai apara. jub aakrkh kart ho kabhoon. tum mai milat dai dhr sbhhoon (13)
  • When the Creator, projected Himself, His creations appeared in physical forms. Whenever, Creation is dissolved, all physical forms merge back into Him. (13)
  • jaitai bdan sirsti sbh dharai. aap aapni boojh oocharai. tum sabh hi tai reht niralm. jant baid bhaid ar aalm. (14)
  • created numerous forms and bodies. They utter Him as they can think, what He is. You remain detached from them all. This distinction the wise ones and the religious books know. (14)
  • nirankar niribkar nirmunbh. adi anil anadi asunbh. ta ka moorh oochrut bhida. ja ko bhiv na pavat baida. (15)
  • Formless, Stainless and Self-reliant. Primal, Blemish-less, Endless and birth-less. Only a Fool can discuss your bound. Your Limits even the Vedas do not know. (15)
  • ta ko kar pahn anumant maha moorh kcho bhaid na jant mahadaiv ko keht sda siv nirankar ka chint neh bhiv. (16)
  • The fools consider Him a stone, for He does not know the Profound Mystery that is God. He calls Shiva, The Eternal Lord, and does not know the secret of the Formless Lord. (16)Read More...
)

0 comments:

Post a Comment